Lemony Kale and White Bean Soup
This delicious soup somehow provides the perfect balance of being both hearty and light at the same time. It's the perfect way to cozy up on those cooler days as winter wades in.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion minced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh garlic crushed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small lemon juiced
- 4 cups 32 oz rich chicken or vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 15 oz cans cooked cannelini beans, drained (not rinsed)
- 1-1/2 cups loosely-packed kale (or sub. spinach or Swiss chard), removed from rough stems and torn into small pieces
Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat until simmering.
Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the herbs and let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
Add the lemon juice followed by the stock and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the white beans and torn kale leaves, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving: 1bowlCalories: 245kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 16gFat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 42mgPotassium: 158mgFiber: 15gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1900IUVitamin C: 42.1mgCalcium: 40mgIron: 0.5mg