Weight Loss Blog | Breakfast to Bed with Laura – #5
How does a mom with 3 kids cope with her nutrition and 2 days of road travel? You can forget the license plate game
because this momma had something else up her sleeve. Can you take a guess? Laura had a stroke of genius and decided to explain to her kids how she figures out what she’s going to eat every day. Being the millennials that they are they quickly whipped out their phones, downloaded MyFitnessPal and began the game of “can you hit your macros”!
Sunday 18th February 2018
Traveling with family and tracking macros got a lot easier once my two teenaged kids downloaded MFP and joined in the food fraction game!
In February, we drive 16 hours to a warmer location. For the driving days, I pack lunches and some healthy grab snacks like grapes, carrots, rice cakes, cookie packs. In the car, my kids added their food in and were asking where we were stopping for dinner so they could add it in! For breakfasts, McDonald’s can even be hacked if need be; saving carbs for later is always my objective so I asked for the insides only of the egg white McMuffins.
Here are some tips for a great week away….
Pre-vacation food prep:
- Prepare a couple meals and freeze them in advance. Use the frozen meals as the ice packs in the bottom of your cooler and put your perishable snacks/lunches in with them.
Great portable, plane friendly and non heating required foods:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Carrot sticks and apples
- Sliced turkey
- Turkey beef jerky
- Jelly beans
- Containers of chicken and sweet potatoes
On the go once on location…
- Stay somewhere with a kitchen access and hit the grocery for healthy options.
- If this is not an option for you, find a Whole Foods for good choices and pack picnic lunches or dinners.
- Limit deserts to a few times a week and if the Kilwins ice cream is a must, walk there.
- Think ahead before you leave…
- Prepare and freeze macro planned meals before you go so you have a few things to pull out of freezer upon return.
- Write your home grocery list out while on vacation and think about what needs to be cooked and what will be easier for you to be successful upon walking in the door.