Delish Goddess Bowl [Recipe]
It might be true that no good story ever started with someone eating a salad, but just because salad stories might be boring, that doesn’t mean that they have to taste that way! We’ve been taking a lot lately about how to maintain and quantify that 80/20 balance with your nutrition. We’re 100% on board with the savvy advice from our friend EC at Optimized Nutrition, that 800g a day of fruit and veg is a good target for most adults to shoot for – some may need more, some a little less depending on your overall caloric intake.
One of the best ways to ensure you hit that volume of veggies without putting too much of a dent in your carbs is to load up on leafy greens. I’ve been struggling in the last month with not going over my numbers at the end of the night because I don’t feel quite satisfied or full enough. So instead of waiting for that feeling to keep happening, I started adding in a huge bowl of salad every night before I eat my “dinner” and it’s been working wonders!
So, it got me searching and thinking about a simple salad “recipe” that I could provide y’all with that was both simple and delicious. This one actually came recommended to me by pastry chef Jade and well, if a chef’s taste buds confirm something as tasty then I was pretty confident I was gonna love it! 🙂
This recipe is a slightly tweaked version of the Goddess Bowl found at Delish.com.
- 0.5 lb Asparagus, chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt & black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- Pre-cook brown rice according to packet instructions and set aside to cool.
- Spray a skillet with non-stick spray and set heat to high. Add the asparagus to the skillet and cook for roughly 8 minutes until the asparagus is tender but still has a little crunch. Set the asparagus to one side.
- Using the same skillet, re-spray the pan and set the heat to medium on your stove. Season both sides of your chicken with garlic powder, oregano and salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Whilst your chicken is cooling make your dressing. In your food processor, add mayonnaise, yogurt, basil, parsley, chives, lemon juice and garlic. Pulse until smooth then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the bowls. Start by dividing the rice evenly between 4 bowls. Top with the avocado, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, sliced avocado and cooked chicken. Pour the dressing into a measuring jug and then split evenly 4 ways. Serve & enjoy!