Eggplant Parmigiana [Recipe]
Here’s a vegetarian feast fit for all those cheese lovers out there! Eggplant is the key ingredient in this simple skillet dish that can easily be turned into a family-size meal. You’ll be surprised by just how much protein is provided by this meat-free dish.
If you love these flavors and aren’t adverse to consuming meat, then make sure you check out our turkey moussaka recipe too.
- 1 medium aubergine sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 10 g tomato puree (or paste)
- 150 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 11/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 80 g low-fat mozzarella cheese sliced
- 10 g grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Heat a frying pan over a medium high heat, brush the aubergine slices with a little oil and spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray. Fry in batches until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Coat the pan with a little more spray, add the garlic and fry for a minute. Stir in the tomato puree, tomatoes, vinegar and oregano. Simmer gently for a couple of minutes then remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a shallow roasting dish, arrange the aubergine slices on top then spoon over the remaining sauce. Top with the mozzarella and grated parmesan then bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Need a helping hand keeping your nutrition balanced on a vegetarian diet? Remove the stress from your life with our done-for-you meal plans! Check out our “Meatless Macros” meal plan. It’s packed full of simple meal ideas to help you hit your goals with ease.