Healthy Chicken Quesadillas [Recipe]
Quesadillas used to be my go-to order at this Italian restaurant called Ragazzi in Cayman – at least for lunch anyways because for dinner you sure as hell don’t wanna miss out on their stone-baked pizzas! Anyway, they had a lobster quesadilla that really was to die for! Since I left Cayman I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve had one quesadilla. That was over 4 years ago! Isn’t that crazy!? Until the other day after I’d made some shredded chicken and happened to have some low-carb tortillas on hand, the inspiration to whip up some Mexican goodness came to mind.
This recipe is quick and easy and there’s just something about the flavor combos that makes a quesadilla soooooo satisfying! If greasy food makes you feel a little queasy then fear not. This is a super healthy version with a strong flavored cheese so a little goes a long way.
I’ve managed to keep the fat really low in this recipe by using goat cheese and a yogurt based dressing instead of other cheese and sour cream. Honestly I think these changes actually make this meal even tastier! It also makes it a perfect meal or snack post-workout when you need a quick boost of carbs and protein for your muscles.
Part of what makes this meal so simple is having all the requisite ingredients pre-made in the fridge so you can whip up a quesadilla in a flash anytime you feel like it! I don’t do a lot of meal prepping but the list below are items I typically have on hand because they are so versatile.
Shredded Chicken – I’ve gone through the process of shredding chicken in a previous recipe “The Best BBQ pulled Chicken” but you could also easily buy shredded chicken from the grocery store. If you want to spice things up a little you could add some buffalo sauce to your chicken!
Roasted Peppers – Slice your peppers lengthways and then either roast in the oven at 400℉ for 40 minutes, or my personal favorite method is to throw them in the air fryer for 20 minutes.
Pickled red onions – oh my gosh, I LOVE throwing pickled red onions on top of salads and with any kind of Mexican foods. Check out this super simple recipe for “How to make pickled red onions.“
Healthy Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 Tortillas I used corn but you can use flour
- 12 g bolthouse farms cilantro avocado dressing
- 15 g medium salsa
- 50 g sweet peppers sliced and roasted
- 25 g red onion pickled or pan fried
- 8 g goat cheese crumbles I used 345 whole foods brand
- 2 oz shredded chicken prepared earlier
- For this recipe you'll ideally have shredded or pulled chicken store bought or prepped in advance. You'll also want your roasted peppers and onions pre-prepared.
- Spray your skillet with non-stick cooking spray or 1/2 tsp olive oil. Take one of your tortillas and toast lightly for a couple minutes. Until starting to brown. Then flip it and toast on the other side. Set aside on a plate and start to toast your other tortilla. Again once the underside is starting to brown, flip it over. Now you can start to assemble your other ingredients.
- Add your chicken, peppers, red onion and goat cheese. Then place the other tortilla on top and lightly press down with a spatula. To help cook the inside, turn the heat down low and place a lide over the skillet for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook. Press down on your quesadilla and you can attempt to flip the whole thing over as well to make sure the bottom is getting too brown.
- Once you see the cheese start to melt and the quesadilla is holding more tightly together you are ready to go! Remove from the skillet and slice in to quarters. Drizzle with the dressing and serve with a little salsa on the side.