Homemade Jalapeño Guacamole [Recipe]
Calling all avocado ♥︎ers! And even the haters too. Yes, I understand if you harbor some resentment towards avocados. I too share a love-hate relationship for this high maintenance piece of fruit, and not just because it made me feel ever so slightly dumb by masquerading itself as a vegetable. Yes, I admit it, for the longest time I thought it was a vegetable. The shame! But worse than the agony of goldilocks finding the perfectly heated bowl of porridge or the bed that’s just on the right side of softness – seriously she’s too young to be concerned about mattress density and toppers – picking out avocados that are the acceptable level of ripeness really does take some skill.
Now you might think to yourself that the avocado alone, despite it’s creamy and almost buttery-like consistency, really isn’t worth going through the hassle of such a rigorous selection process. Especially when 98% of the time you’re likely to be disappointed at the last hurdle. You know, when you miss your small window of opportunity for enjoying it’s premium ripeness by a minute and are faced with something brown, mushy and very off-putting.
But that’s where guacamole comes in to save the day! There’s a reason why guac is extra. And the reason is because it tastes so freakin’ good! It’s also the perfect solution for those slightly over-ripened avocados. If you mix in the overly ripened ones and mash them up with those that are still green, you’ll actually get a pretty perfect texture and color for your guacamole. And if you do happen to have any guacamole left over – please enlighten me as to how that is at all possible?! – then you can easily stop it from going brown by squeezing additional lime juice on top and sealing tightly with plastic wrap.
Guacamole is a great go-to dip with veggies for a snack between meals. It really helps keep hunger at bay! It’s also a great accompaniment for salads, tacos (check out our carnitas street tacos recipe), toast (oh c’mon I know you’ve succumbed to the #instafame of avocado toast) and of course any Chipotle copycat burritos you might be creating. Enjoy the zesty and fiery flavor of this jalapeño guacamole. It’ll more than make up for the labor intensive task of avocado selection! 😋
Homemade Jalapeño Guacamole
- Potato Masher
- 4 large ripe hass avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 jalapeño seeds and stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 ripe medium sized tomato seeds removed and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced small
- 3 tablespoons lime juice from about 1 ½ limes, or more if needed
- Remove the stone/seed from the avocado and using a spoon, scoop the flesh of the avocados into a shallow serving bowl, discarding any bruised, browned areas.
- Using a potato masher, or fork, mash up the avocado until it reaches the consistency you like (I like mine to have some lumps).
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the avocado. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt (I often add up to ½ teaspoon more), until the flavors really pop. If it needs more zip, add a little more lime juice (or, if it tastes too limey already, don’t worry—it will mellow out after a brief rest).
- Serve and enjoy!!