How to Track When You’re Eating Out
When people ask about how to track when you’re eating out at seminars, Jason always hands the floor over to me. If you don’t already know, I am a full-blown foodie! It’s a blessing and a curse! I get a huge amount of enjoyment from eating delicious foods. The downside? Well, really tasty food often doesn’t come in a conveniently scannable packet! Nor does it typically come at the end of a buffet line – sorry Jay but Chipotle won’t cut it for date night! 😉
When I started flexible eating (for the third time!) I decided I had to make it fit my lifestyle. No more boring meals at home day-in-and-day-out, I needed variety and flavorful food. Plus, I was heading out travelling for 3 months so that meant finding a way to track food at places that wouldn’t be in the app –as convenient as Chipotle is, you can’t go to the West coast and not sample some authentic Cocina Mexicana.
During my travels I figured out some ways that I could keep my tracking on point even when I was eating out. Here are 10 tips I compiled to help you avoid those sneaky extra calories when you’re eating at restaurants that aren’t in your app:
- Order all fat sources on the side (dressings, sauces, cheese, oils etc.)
- Order eggs and meat “dry”
- Order fish and meat grilled or steamed
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
- Order half sizes, appetizers or the kids meal
- Know your quantities for sauces & dressings
- Order your veggies plain or they’ll come loaded with butter
- Keep it simple – pick something you can easily track
- Practice eyeballing quantities at home
- Plan ahead!
If you want the full low-down then check out my article on nutrition strategies for cutting calories. If you’re ready for the next level, then you might also want to read Eating Out & Losing Weight | 7 Tips for Travelers Tracking Macros.
Do you travel a lot for work or pleasure? What strategies have helped you be successful whilst eating out and enjoying flexible eating? Hit us up in the Lifestyle group and share your tips for success!