Mashed Cauliflower Gratin [Recipe]
This is a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving feast! You can get all of the creamy cheesy goodness of potato gratin with a whole lot less carbs thanks to cauliflower! Plus the egg whites pack a protein punch, something that can be hard to get enough of during the holidays.
I used a large baking dish to prepare this cauliflower gratin, but I think this would look so great served up in ramekins. It would also make it super easy for tracking!
If you’re really stuck for time, you could even use bags of frozen cauliflower rice. All you do is microwave them first, drain any excess water and then mix the riced cauliflower with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Soooooo simple & so tasty!
Want more macro-friendly recipes to get you through the holidays? Then check out our FREE ebook, the Holiday Survival Guide. It’s packed full of helpful strategies & recipes to keep you on track all season long. CLICK to download your copy for free now!
Mashed Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 oz light sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- spread cauliflower on baking sheet, spray with non-stick spray, season with salt and pepper to taste and roast for 20-30 min or until fork tender. Alternatively you can boil or steam the cauliflower until fork tender.
- In a food processor or blender, add in egg, egg whites, almond milk, mustard, nutmeg, salt, pepper and half the cheese. Add in cooked cauliflower and blend until combined and smooth.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour cauliflower mixture into pan. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 min. or until top begins to brown.