Oatmeal Protein Pancakes [Recipe]
I’m not one for changing up my foods on a regular basis. When I’m not traveling the country on a mission to find the best donuts in every state
, I would say I eat the exact same thing 90% of the time. I’m a creature of habit because routines make life easy. But just because I’m typically consuming the same foods, it does not mean that I’m always eating the same meals. Variety is the spice of life as they say, so I like to keep things interesting yet simple at the same time. This pancake recipe is so easy I’d be surprised if it doesn’t make it into your weekly breakfast repertoire.
If you’ve tried my Chunky Monkey High Protein Oatmeal you’ll know why it’s my go-to breakfast most days! But when I feel the need to change things up these pancakes are my jam! It’s pretty much the exact same ingredients just served up in a delicious, doughy pancake.
Speaking of jam, if you’re ever in the Vancouver area you HAVE to check out the Jam Cafe on Beatty Street. Treat yourself to something off their all day breakfast menu, every dish is delish! But if you’re really hungry and pancakes are your thing then get the Red Velvet Pancakes drizzled with cream cheese icing. You’ll get two pancakes that are literally bigger than the size of your head. If you’re on a budget you definitely get bang for your buck as I don’t recall being hungry the rest of the day and I had to take half a pancake home with me 🙂
This recipe is so simple I even managed to whip us up a batch whilst we’re on our tour! We had gone on an impromptu bike ride around Saint Augustine and were in serious need of refueling after a 20 minute jaunt turned into a ninety minute adventure! So a good refuel was very much needed prior to hitting a word at Driv Fitness CrossFit. Here’s Jay about to devour his serving, which is based on the numbers below.
- 60g (or two 28g packets) Quakers instant oatmeal
- 138g egg whites
- 60g banana
- 10g walnuts
- 1/2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Pour the oatmeal in to a microwavable safe bowl and add 3-4 tablespoons of water so that the oatmeal is wet but not completely covered.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave for another 30 seconds if still wet.
- Pour the oatmeal and egg whites in to a blender and blend until well combined.
- Add cinnamon or any sweetener you like. Or you could use a pre-flavored oatmeal like Quaker Oats Cinnamon Swirl flavor. YUMMY!
- You may want to make your batter a little in advance and allow it to stand so that it thickens into a batter-like consistency.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with non-stick spray.
- Heap a large spoon with your pancake mixture and dollop it into the center of the pan.
- Once bubbles begin to form on the top of the pancake, use a spatula to flip your pancake over.
- Continue to cook until the bottom is golden-brown. About 5 minutes total cooking time.
This pancake recipe comes from our Balanced Like a Boss Meal Plan with all the macros figured out for you! If you enjoyed it you’ll probably like the other meal ideas we’ve included in this super easy to follow meal plan.