Paleo Breakfast Burrito [Recipe]
If you love breakfast and Mexican food as much as I do, you have to try these healthy breakfast burritos! As a coach I often advise my clients to try and have a serving of protein and some veggies with breakfast to kick start their day. This does both! With 17 grams of protein and lots of colorful veggies this is a fantastic breakfast option.
Want to spice it up a bit more? Try adding this guacamole in place of the avocado.
This recipe makes 4 burritos so feel free to invite over some friends, make for your family, or meal prep a weeks worth and save the ingredients in Tupperware so you can easily make your burritos in a flash. If you want to add some more carbs while keeping it grain free check out these Siete Cassava Coconut tortillas to use in place of the collard greens. BONUS -> using the tortillas allows you to assemble your burritos ahead of time.🙌🏼 Just wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze. When you’re ready to use remove the plastic wrap, place on a paper towel lined microwave safe plate and microwave for 60-90 seconds or until warmed through.
Use this as a guide and create your own breakfast burrito! Share with us by tagging us on social media. We’d love to see what you come up with!
Paleo Breakfast Burrito
- 8 collard green leaves
- 12 pieces bacon
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 avocado
- 8 tbsp salsa
- Prepare bacon according to package. I prefer to line a pan with tin foil, lay the bacon on the pan and place in a cold oven. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and set a timer for 20 minutes. When the timer is up the bacon is be done!
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the veggies. Thinly slice the red onion, pepper and avocado. Remove the stem from the collard leaves by cutting off the stem at the end of the leaf and carefully sliding your knife under the thick collard rib. Set aside.
- Cook the peppers and onions in a pan over medium heat until soft, set aside.
- In the same pan scramble the eggs, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, lay two collard leaves one on top of the other, with the darkest part of the leaves facing down. Layer on a quarter of the pepper, onion, avocado and scrambled eggs. Top with 3 pieces of bacon and two tablespoons salsa. Wrap and enjoy!