Skinny “Reese’s” Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
There are two things in this world that I will never say no to; 1. free stuff (seriously it’s free, why would you?!) and, 2. peanut butter ♥︎ 🙂
I could (and pretty much do) eat peanut butter with EVERYTHING. Don’t believe me? Check out my deluxe double bacon turkey burger with crunchy peanut butter & crispy plantain bun. What’s that you say? #drooling! Before I got crazy creative with my peanut butter experiences, like most normal children my first introduction to peanut butter was through traditional means.
The simple, yet classic PB sandwich is a common staple in most children’s lunchboxes in the western world. You seriously can’t go wrong with a healthy dollop of peanut butter smeared between two slices of bread.
If you’re a Brit that’s probably about as exciting as your peanut butter experiences ever get – that’s if you even like PB in the first place. Yes, I know. A shocking thought isn’t it?!
If you’re an American though, well you’re part of a culture and mindset that reinvented the versatility of Peanut Butter. The immortal PB&J sandwich was the initial concept that caused the Peanut Butter craze to sweep the nation. Peter Pan reported that the average American will eat 3,000 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in their lifetime! I’m not even mildly shocked by this statistic. It’s popularity eventually lead to more than just an annoyingly catchy song performed by a pixellated banana – if you really need your Peanut Butter Jelly Time fix here you go!
Eventually, the flavor combination inspired the creation of a sweeter, snack-sized treat, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Man cannot live by bread alone after all. He must have chocolate too! Whether you’re 1 or 100, for peanut butter lovers these chocolate cups were literally the best thing since sliced bread…Until now!
How’s that you say? Well, I’ve taken these delicious Hershey’s treats and made them macro-friendly, which basically means you get to eat MORE of them without getting fat! With just 5 ingredients these peanut butter cups are foolproof, insanely delicious and just 63 calories. If that’s not a winning recipe for a perfect snack then I’ll eat my hat – provided it’s smothered in peanut butter of course.
- 1/2 cup PB2
- 4.5 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (melted)
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- In a microwaveable mixing bowl, melt your dark chocolate in the microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between to ensure all lumps are removed.
- Once melted add cinnamon & vanilla powder.
- Pour the chocolate mix in equal measures into each of the 12 mini muffin cases & then place them in the fridge or freezer to set for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can make up the top layer by mixing 1/2 cup of PB2 with the coconut oil & up to 1/4 cup water. Feel free to add in some stevia to make it a little sweeter.
- Remove the chocolate cups from the fridge and pour the top layer mixture over each cup.
- Return to the fridge/freezer and let them set for up to 1 hour.
- Enjoy on their own as a mid-morning and afternoon snacks or add them as toppings to a big bowl of fruit and yogurt.