Skinny Vanilla French Toast [Recipe]
When Jason & I tied the knot last November, I wanted to make sure there were plenty of opportunities for us to enjoy spending time with friends and family who’d travelled all the way out to LA to see us. Naturally, being the unadulterated foodie that I am, one of the events I organized was a brunch at a super cool spot in Venice, called 26 Beach.
Aside from the fact that they served breakfast all day, I was drawn to this particular restaurant because of their impressive array of French toast. A mere 20 different varieties to choose from including S’mores, Reese’s Peeces and Churro French toast. I know what you’re thinking, how could I possibly choose between them all?!
Well it wasn’t easy, but after careful consideration and macro-planning, I decided ahead of time that I’d go for the Elvis – French toast stuffed with skippy peanut butter, banana and blueberry jam with maple syrup on the side. GAHHHHHHHH!!! To ensure I was suitably hungry for my brunch feast, I hit a Soulcycle class in Santa Monica with my bridesmaids – it was surprisingly easy to convince them to join me! I suspect they were just trying to ensure that Bridezilla didn’t make an appearance!
So back to the French toast. The Elvis did not disappoint in either size or flavor! I highly recommend it if you’re in the Venice area.
Ever since then, I’ve been wanting to make my own version of The Elvis french toast. My skinny vanilla French toast came out so great and was a big hit with the hubby 🙂 This recipe is so easy you’ve gotta give it a go! For this recipe I used Kroger’s 2″ slices of French bread, but you could find some bread that’s a little more macro friendly.
Serving size: 2 slices
- 4 x 2″ slices Texas toast bread (I used Kroger’s for this recipe)
- 1 whole large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
Macros: C – 37g; P – 21g; F – 6g
- Set a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the large egg, egg whites, vanilla essence, unsweetened almond milk and ground cinnamon.
- Dip a slice of the bread into the egg mixture to coat one side, the flip the slice of bread to coat the second side.
- Transfer the egg soaked slice of bread into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom side is browning. Flip carefully with a spatula and toast the other side until golden and brown.
- Continue with each of the slices until all the mixture is gone.
- Serve right away with your choice of toppings. My favorites are peanut butter & banana or a side of greek yogurt, mixed berries and low-calorie syrup. So delicious!