Turkey Meatballs [Recipe]
Thanksgiving flavors in a bite! Perfect for gatherings all year round. These lean turkey meatballs make great appetizers, or for a more casual gathering you could use these instead of roasting a full turkey. They are super easy to freeze too; just arrange them in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet and place in the freezer until frozen (this prevents them from sticking to each other). Then transfer them to freezer bags. Remove and warm in pasta sauce or in the microwave as needed.
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1/4 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 20 oz lean ground turkey 93%
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Heat pot over medium heat. Melt butter and add diced celery, carrots, onions. Cook until softened, about 15 mins. Stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and add in sage, rosemary and garlic. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Once veggies are cooled, add in turkey, breadcrumbs, egg whites, salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined.
- Spray mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. Measure out 1.5oz of mixture, roll into ball and place each into a cup of the muffin pan.
- Bake for 30 mins or until the meatballs start to brown and the internal temperature is 165°F.