Chicken Tortilla Soup [Recipe]
They say chicken soup is good for the soul well I disagree. It’s not good it’s GREAT!!! When my mum was visiting recently I tried to find some ways that I could sneak extra protein into her meals. She doesn’t like to eat a lot in one go and enjoys soup so I picked up two cartons of Kirkland Signature Chicken Tortilla Soup from Costco. I couldn’t believe the macros! 1 cup (240g) yielded 11g of protein, and just 12g carbs and 3g of fat! I couldn’t resist having a bowl myself and serving it with a side of buttered toast. Mmmm so yummy and so comforting!
After my mum left I wound up having soup every day for lunch for a whole week. It made my life significantly easier as I spent minimal time in the kitchen prepping or cooking. Some days I’d have a big bowl of salad with it and sometimes I’d just throw some extra veggies in to the post – collard greens, peppers, asparagus, that kind of thing. Anyway, it made tracking and cooking a breeze! So I decided I needed to make a big batch of it and freeze it into individual portions for future emergencies and weeks where I just need a break from the normal demands of the kitchen.
Make this into as many servings as you like, 8 is just a suggestion. You can also reduce the amount of chicken you use if you want less protein per portion. Hope you enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 32 oz. Newman's Own medium spice chunky salsa
- 28 oz Black Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 packet Trader Joe's taco seasoning
- 2.5 cups Frozen corn kernels
- 3.5 cups Chicken broth
- 1 serving tortilla chips optional
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken to your slow cooker and combine well.
- Next add the whole chicken breasts.
- Set your slow cooker to cook on high for 3 hours.
- Test to see whether your chicken is soft enough to shred with 2 forks. Shred evenly or unevenly according to preference.
- Continue to cook on low for another hour and a half to 2 hours.