Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Caps [Recipe]
Stuffed mushroom caps are SO versatile. If you’re looking for a quick & super satisfying snack to make…THIS is it! Gluten free, low carb, with a healthy serving of protein and fats. Grab the ingredients, and try these out!
Of course, if you can make something look like pizza then you’re on to a winner! Especially if you have picky kids – or adults – around. These pizza stuffed mushrooms are a great way to get some extra veggies in with your snack as well as some protein, which are often not the easiest to stay on top of.
Stuffed mushrooms also work fabulously as an appetizer at any parties or get-togethers you might be hosting. Just use your imagination for fillings, like cheese & bacon, salsa, cheeseburger filling, crab stuffed, goats cheese & spinach. The stuffed mushroom game is open for creativity!
The recipe below provides instructions for oven baking, but if you happen to have an air fryer (with enough space or a rack insert) then I definitely recommend this method for some extra crispiness to your mushrooms and making that cheese golden brown.
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
All types of edible mushrooms contain varying degrees of protein and fiber. They also contain B vitamins as well as a powerful antioxidant called selenium, which helps to support the immune system and prevent damage to cells and tissues. White button mushrooms are also one of the few non-animal sources of vitamin D. When they are grown, whether indoor or outdoor, they are exposed to UV light which increases their concentration of vitamin D.
If bought pre-packaged, they are often best kept in their original packaging in the fridge. If you buy loose mushrooms then they should be stored in a paper bag or in a container (without the lid) wrapped with plastic that is punched with a few air holes and stored in the fridge.
Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- 7 medium-large mushroom caps stems removed
- 1/2 cup low sugar marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded high quality mozzarella
- 7 nitrate-free pepperoni slices or add amount as desired
- fresh chopped parsley or basil leaves optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large oven-proof cast iron, or flat rimmed sheet pan, lay out mushrooms upside down
- Fill each mushroom cap with about a Tablespoon of marinara, (I sprinkled mine very lightly, and equally with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and sea salt at this point) and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Top each with pepperoni if desired, and bake until cheese is melty, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsly or basil.