Zucchini Bread [Recipe]
I love banana bread as much as the next person! It goes wonderfully with a cup of tea on a gloomy day when you need a little afternoon pick-me-up. If you’re in the mood to get your baking on but spend less than 5 minutes in the kitchen then give this zucchini bread a go!
So, you may well be asking what’s so great about zucchini bread? Well, zucchini (from the summer squash family) is a very low calorie vegetable with only 16 calories per 100g. Compare the macro nutrition info to that of a banana and you’ll see that their carbohydrate content is much lower (3g as opposed to 23g) and similarly so is the sugar content (2g as opposed to 12g). So for those of you who are looking for more macro-friendly treats that help keep you satiated & your blood sugar levels stable, then you should totally try zucchini bread!
Zucchini has very little flavor which makes it ideal for a substitute in baking. This is a great way to sneak some actual nutrition into your kid’s mouths too! 😆
- 1 medium zucchini - cut in half scrape out the seeds & cut into chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp egg whites
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 40 g pitted and chopped dates
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp himalayan or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350℉
- Add the zucchini chunks, coconut oil, vanilla extract, eggs and dates to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If your dates are hard or super sticky you might want to soften them in a small bowl of warm water for 10-15 minutes first.
- Next add the coconut flour, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, salt & cinnamon and blend.
- Once smooth, stir in any of your optional extras and then pour mixture into a parchment lined (or well greased) loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes and serve warm with a couple of slices of banana!